Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day



I will make this quick, as I have a full day scheduled which consists of sitting around and being lazy. Ultimately, I think this is all that most fathers want for Father's Day.

I must say admit that I just woke up and if this post doesn't flow at all it is due to my lack of coffee intake.

I started to write this concerning the change in societies view of fathers recently. I still remember in the early 90's when men and fathers were basically labeled as unnecessary to a child's upbringing by the likes of Candice Bergen and many other liberal feminists. Funny how the thoughts have changed since then. The results of that little science experiment are beginning to trickle in and they are showing that children who have a father as an active participant in their raising and their lives are turning out to be much more balanced adults. Imagine that!!! Sorry feminazis of the world. Apparently a man is still necessary. Sorry to disappoint all of you .

Moving on, a break from politics...

It's Father's Day and it reminds me each year that I was blessed with an amazing father. I attribute so much of the success I've had in my life to how well he raised me.

My father has been, and always will be, the most admired person I know. He has not changed or waivered over the years. He began as my father and still plays the role to this day. He has taught me so much in my life and continues to teach me. He has never lowered himself into the role of "buddy" or "friend", but has always remained in the more difficult and responsible role of "father." I cannot thank him enough for that. he has always wielded a firm hand to keep me on the straight and narrow, but has also gone out of his way to show compassion and love for me.

He is the most amazing man I know and always will be. He practices what he preaches...he "is who he is" and does not apologize for it. He says what he means and means what he says. He is exactly the type of man that our current society is trying to get rid of. 100% stubborn alpha-male. A dying breed, for sure...I have been truly blessed to have this man in my life and thank God for each day I am able to spend with him. We have fished, hunted, watched football, shot pool, camped, water skiied, gone to the horse races, played poker, worked on cars, mowed lawns, built fences, etc. He can brighten or ruin my day still by the mere expression of approval or disapproval on his face. I will never be able to thank him enough for what he has meant to my life and my success. I work hard to represent to my children what he represents to me, but his shoes are most assuredly too big to fill.

For those who have or had a father like this, you know exactly what I mean, and are certainly just as grateful. Happy Father's Day to all


No comments:

Post a Comment